- Villanova University School of Law (J.D., Cum Laude, 1980) Law Review - Associate Editor, Villanova Law Review; Winner, Theodore L. Reimel Moot Court Competition, 1980; Winner, Ullman Award for Academic Excellence Criminal Law
- Dickinson College (B.A. in Political Science, 1977)
- New Jersey, 1986
- Pennsylvania, 1981
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Defense Research Institute
- Pennsylvania Defense Institute
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Villanova University School of Law, Adjunct Professor (2006-2015)
- Fellow, American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel
- Honorable Daniel L. Herrmann, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the State of Delaware
Richard L. McMonigle, Jr.
Immediate Past Chair, Insurance Law Department
Richard L. McMonigle, Jr. is Senior Counsel with the Firm's Insurance Law Department. A former Principal and immediate Past Chair of the Department, Mr. McMonigle has spent over three decades representing national clients in significant insurance coverage and claims compliance matters. In more than 20 years with Post & Schell, he has earned a stellar reputation defending insurance companies and their employees in litigation involving complex coverage issues, alleged bad faith, policyholder fraud, and life, health, and disability claims, and bringing such matters to an expedited and fair resolution.
As Senior Counsel, Mr. McMonigle continues to represent and advise clients in connection with major claims disputes and bad faith litigation, including matters on appeal. He provides in-house training to insurance professionals on coverage interpretation and claims handling procedures. He serves as an expert consultant and testifying expert witness on behalf of parties in insurance bad faith litigation. Additionally, he has been retained by parties for both insurers and policyholders to serve as a voluntary mediator in coverage and alleged bad faith disputes.
Mr. McMonigle is the author of the highly-regarded treatise on bad faith law in Pennsylvania, Insurance Bad Faith in Pennsylvania, published by The Legal Intelligencer and now in its 19th edition. He is also the lead author of Insurance Bad Faith in New Jersey, now in its 4th edition, also published by The Legal Intelligencer. He lectures nationally, and has authored numerous published articles on insurance coverage, bad faith, policyholder fraud, and life, health and disability issues.
In providing guidance and counsel to clients as well as attorneys in the Insurance Law Department, Mr. McMonigle brings a wealth of litigation experience honed in the courtroom. A former prosecutor in Philadelphia and Delaware County (PA), he has tried to verdict as lead counsel over sixty jury and scores of non-jury matters in the state and federal courts in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. From 2006 through 2015, he served as an Adjunct Professor of Law at Villanova University School of Law, teaching Trial Advocacy.
Mr. McMonigle is also an experienced appellate attorney, having authored briefs and presented oral argument before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, the Pennsylvania Superior Court, the Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. He served as law clerk to the Honorable Daniel L. Herrmann, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the State of Delaware.
From 2005 through 2019, he has been recognized as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer by his peers as published by Thomson Reuters and Philadelphia Magazine in the area of Insurance Law. In 2012 and 2013 he was also listed in Super Lawyers Business Edition. The Best Lawyers in America©, a national peer-review publication, selected Mr. McMonigle for inclusion in its 2010, 2011, 2015, 2016, 2019, and 2020 Editions in the area of Insurance Law. For information about these selections and an overview of common third-party publications, rankings, and lists methodologies, click here.